Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Long time coming, Longchamp

When, exactly, did the Longchamp make a comeback? Was the Longchamp-bag-wearing trend ever really dead? And which wise person thought to restart the Longchamp legacy? Whoever she (or he) is, let her know that the Longchamp has, indeed, been reborn.

I remember, quite vividly, being an undergrad (the year I focus on is, eh, about 2002, I think – so much for “vivid” memories) and witnessing the emergence of the Longchamp. A friend of mine had this large black nylon bag with a brown leather tab. I didn’t make much of it at first, but then, these bags were EVERYWHERE. On the street, in the subway, in the dorms. What was the allure of the Longchamp (specifically, “Le Pliage”)?

Maybe it was the bag’s simplicity. Maybe it was a nice (albeit pricey) and durable (although this is questionable – how many textbooks do you carry?) alternative to other bookbags and messenger bags (think “Felicity” years). Or maybe it was just fun to see which fared better – the Longchamp or the Herve Chapelier (which currently appears in need of some reinventing or new campaign). Whatever it was, everyone (well, at least a lot of the students at NYU) fell for the Longchamp.

And then, it sort of went away. Or did it? I can’t remember. I keep trying to recall how many Longchamp bags I saw between 2005 and 2008. Maybe a handful? Is that possible? Were there more? Or have I just been blinded by the freebie “100% organic” bags we’ve all been wearing instead of “real” handbags over the past two years?

Whomever spawned the new (“2009 new”) Longchamp movement/revitalization was likely some girl in her twenties who had an old Longchamp sitting in her closet (wow – this is starting to sound a lot like me) which she decided to use to carry extra clothing, magazines, etc. to work one day. But what originally appeared to be a simple decision, unexpectedly engendered a new kind of respect for the Longchamp. Suddenly, they were everywhere. It almost felt like an overnight sensation (or maybe, again, this was all in my head?). Whatever it was, I could feel the Longchamp making a comeback. And let’s face it - everyone loves a great comeback (especially when it means you can save your penny and take out a bag you thought you’d put to rest).

Oh, and Kate Spade, let me know when I can take out my little black bag of yours from back in the day.









No comments:

Post a Comment