Thursday, March 4, 2010

When in Doubt, Check the Lookbook

I am a big believer in the lookbook. Some days when I am unsure about what to wear or what clothes to buy, a simple glance at a lookbook, catalogue, or even a mannequin's getup, is all I need for some inspiration. Take the J.Crew clothing catalogue. That baby has saved me time and time again when I try to turn up the preppy in my wardrobe. Or the crazy cool lookbook at www.chickdowntown.com. It's easier than you think to model your outfits after stylists' impressive concoctions.

But what about when you want to actually OWN all of the clothing shown off in the lookbook? I can't even count the number of times I've opened up an Anthropologie catalogue and wished I could afford every item worn by that perfectly dressed model. From the headwrap on her head to the immaculate silk dress to the perfectly proper shoes -- I've wanted it all. So what if your bank account is telling you that you can't have it all?

I'm always looking at the Forever21 website for cheap and chic inspiration - the stylists over there are doing a fantastic job. But sometimes the outfits can be a little too, um, how should I say it, teenage-like for my 27-year-old self? On the other hand, Forever's fairly new sidekick, Heritage 1981, has an amazing lookbook featuring the kinds of styles that I can wear on the NYC streets AND the kind of fashion I can afford. Brilliant!

Heritage 1981






No comments:

Post a Comment