Tuesday, March 2, 2010

This Outerwear Ain't Puffery

I've spent many a day this winter season searching for the perfect coat. I purchased a chic robe-like Calvin, which disappointingly collected every lint particle that exists in the tri-state area. The coat also, quite literally, ripped at the seam during its first week of wear. I bought another Calvin coat, sort of in the tradition of menswear - very severe, very unembellished - but found that it's only proper when the temperature reads 40 degrees or more. My shimmery blue Gap puffer coat from last season has held up well, but the hood is oversized and so I am faced with the age-old fashion dilemma of whether this is a statement piece (the statement being "I am trying to exude an expert winter weather fashion sense and a sort of ski-like athleticism while strutting around in this seemingly-hardcore-puffer coat) or a functional piece (despite the failure of my hood to function at all; the function being dual - to serve as a head protector and to make me look cute and eskimo-like). So, while I've endeavored to classify the purpose of my collection of outerwear, I've simultaneoulsy "cheated" on my wardrobe. That's right, I've been on the prowl scanning the streets of NYC for my next conquest: the "better" coat. And in my great search I've stumbled upon quite the breed. The brand I speak of is Brooklyn Industries ("BI"), and the store(s) sells the most deliciously comfy cozy puffer coats and such. The long puffer coats are my personal favorite, but the brand also manufactures shorter puffer coats and other very tailored wool coats. The reason I talk about outwear at a time like this is because outerwear is marked down like whoa during this month of March. And it's ironic because it snowed like the dickens only a few days ago and the weather ain't exactly spring right now. The BI coats are currently quite the steal - the long puffer goes for $99 and other coats go for even less. So, take this opportunity and run with it (or walk slowly in it - depending on how icy the sidewalks are).

www.brooklynindustries.com





2 comments:

  1. really adorable coats! I saw at Bloomingdales they are having great sales now as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def want to get a warmer puffer -- it's still FREEZING out!!!

    ReplyDelete